National Disability Institute is a founding national partner in the MyFreeTaxes project.
Funded by a grant from the Walmart Foundation, MyFreeTaxes provides free federal and state tax preparation and filing assistance, both online and in-person, to eligible households earning less than $58,000 a year. MyFreeTaxes.com is the only online platform that can be used to file free federal and state taxes in all 50 states, including the District of Columbia. The program has helped millions of individuals and families claim more than $8 billion dollars in tax credits and refunds since 2009. To date, MyFreeTaxes has helped more than 820,000 people with disabilities file their taxes for free, expand knowledge of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and claim valuable tax credits for which they are eligible.
MyFreeTaxes is a national project conducted in partnership among National Disability Institute, Goodwill Industries International and United Way Worldwide, helping eligible filers to maximize their refunds and help families and individuals claim valuable tax credits to help keep more money in their pockets.
In 2014, MyFreeTaxes.com offers eligible consumers two main ways to file taxes:
- Online at www.MyFreeTaxes.com for individuals and families with combined incomes of $58,000 or less;
- Online chat support is available as well as telephone support at 1-855-My-Tx-Help (1-855-698-9435)
- In person in the local community at:
- 175 United Way and Goodwill® led community-based tax preparation sites also serving as Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites, where IRS-certified volunteers help eligible taxpayers earning $52,000 or less per year prepare and file their taxes for free.
- Led by NDI, 30 American Job Center locations as well as Veterans Administration Centers and veteran organizations where eligible individuals and families earning $58,000 or less can file for free using MyFreeTaxes.com and receive free, in-person assistance from onsite tax coaches in select locations.
Taxpayers using MyFreeTaxes.com can access free phone and online assistance. Taxpayers can:
The MyFreeTaxes partnership is committed to providing free tax preparation services to taxpayers with disabilities. If you are in need of an ADA accommodation to participate, please contact your local in-person filing site or 1-855-My-Tx-Help (1-855-698-9435) for more information.
File your federal AND state taxes for free today. Visit MyFreeTaxes.com to learn more and file for free!
Follow MyFreeTaxes on the Web
As part of the MyFreeTaxes initiative to ensure Americans with and without disabilities keep more of their hard earned money, National Disability Institute and its MyFreeTaxes partners and tax coaches will be on hand at theLA Abilities Expo to assist eligible taxpayers earning $58,000 or less prepare and file their federal and state taxes for free using MyFreeTaxes.com
The LA Abilities Expo runs from February 28 through March 2 at the Los Angeles Convention Center (West Hall A) and connects individuals with disabilities and their families to the much-needed services, groundbreaking technology and professionals that can make a difference in their lives.
Just The Facts – Tax Time Tips Radio Programming
Spread the word about MyFreeTaxes and help dispel tax myths with this series of 10 radio/audio PSAs designed to provide important financial education and tax time tips to help advance economic empowerment for Americans with and without disabilities. Topics include:
- Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
- Child & Dependent Care Tax Credit
- Disability Myth Busters
- Veterans Benefits
- And more
The spots, each 30 seconds, are available for download in both MP3 and WAV file formats. The series was created by National Disability Institute as part of the MyFreeTaxes campaign. National Disability Institute will be promoting these spots for use by Radio Reading Service for the Blind stations across the country and has created companion videos.
To view the transcript of each spot and download .WAV and .MP3 files, visit our 2014 Just the Facts Radio Spot Library.