National Disability Institute is proud to partner with Goodwill Industries International and United Way Worldwide to offer MyFreeTaxes.com, an initiative offering free federal and state tax preparation and filing services both online and in person to eligible Americans nationwide, along with Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) eligibility education. Funded by the Walmart Foundation, MyFreeTaxes online and in-person tax preparation and filing services have helped 4.5 million families claim nearly $6 billion in tax credits and refunds since 2009. National Disability Institute is an inaugural partner in the MyFreeTaxes partnership, which has helped more than 610,000 people with disabilities file their taxes since it began.
In 2013, MyFreeTaxes.com offers eligible consumers two main ways to file taxes:
- Online at www.MyFreeTaxes.com for individuals and families with combined incomes of $57,000 or less;
- In person in the local community at:
- 100 United Way and 28 Goodwill® led community-based Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) efforts for individuals and families with combined incomes of $50,000 or less;
- 10 National Disability Institute led American Job Center region (formerly One-Stop Career Centers) efforts across the country where on-site tax coaches will help individuals and families with incomes of $57,000 or less file for free using MyFreeTaxes.com.
Taxpayers using MyFreeTaxes.com can access free phone and online assistance. Taxpayers can:
- Visit MyFreeTaxes.com to locate a free tax site near them or call 2-1-1 to schedule an appointment;
- Call 1-855-My-Tx-Help for questions about MyFreeTaxes.com;
- Contact their local tax filing site or call 2-1-1 if they need an ADA accommodation to file their taxes in person;
- Use online chat available through MyFreeTaxes.com. Click on "contact us."
The MyFreeTaxes partnership expects to assist 210,000 people with disabilities to file their taxes for free and expand knowledge of EITC and other available tax credits by continuing to build the capacity of the MyFreeTaxes network to expand outreach to taxpayers with disabilities.
Follow MyFreeTaxes online
Just The Facts – Tax Time Tips Radio Programming
Spread the word about MyFreeTaxes and help dispel tax myths with this series of radio/audio PSAs and featurettes designed to provide important financial education and tax time tips to help advance economic empowerment for Americans with and without disabilities. Topics include:
- Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
- Child & Dependent Care Tax Credit
- Disability Myth Busters
The spots are available for download in both MP3 and WAV file formats. These featurettes play more like a featured show in the 120 second format (2 minutes) and arealso available as :30 spots. The series was created by National Disability Institute as part of the MyFreeTaxes campaign. National Disability Institute will be promoting these spots for use by Radio Reading Service for the Blind stations across the country and has created companion videos. A Word document with the full scripts is also available for download.
Download .WAV and .MP3 files of the :30 and 1:20 Radio Spots